This is based on a recipe from a Hungry Girl cookbook that we have (original recipe here). My husband is a huge fan of shrimp and I love all the veggies loaded up in the soup. Double bonus is how low in calorie it is! I have altered it a bit to make it easier to prepare, but the ingredients and flavors are all pretty much the same.
1. You will need 4c. chicken or vegetable broth, 2 lbs raw, peeled and deveined shrimp, 1 bag frozen, chopped asparagus spears, 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped, 4-5 small red potatoes, chopped, 1c. frozen sweet corn kernels, 1 can fat free evaporated milk, 3/4 c. frozen green onions, 1t. minced garlic, 1/2t. thyme, and 1/4t. cayenne pepper (although you might want to reduce the amount if you don't want it spicy).
2. Place frozen asparagus, frozen corn, green onions, bell peppers, and garlic in large pot. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. The original recipe says 5 minutes, but because I was using frozen vegetables, I cooked mine for additional time.
3. Add the chicken broth and potato. Simmer for 15 minutes until the potato is fork soft. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 5 more minutes and serve!
4c. chicken or vegetable broth
2 lbs raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
1 bag frozen, chopped asparagus spears
2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
4-5 small red potatoes, chopped
1c. frozen sweet corn kernels
1 can ff evaporated milk
3/4 c. frozen green onions
1t. minced garlic
1/4t. cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Place shrimp on baking tray sprayed with nonstick spray. Cook 6 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Set aside.
2. Place asparagus, corn, green onions, bell peppers, and garlic in large pot. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add broth and potato. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes until potato is softened. Add milk, shrimp, thyme, and cayenne pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.